You may be looking for our Plex Full driver which offers full Plex library integration into Control4 and will allow integration of Plex clients other than Plex Home Theater. See link below if you fall into this category.
Plex Home Theater is a software based media player that can be installed on Mac and Windows based operating systems. Plex offers a beautiful simple interface that enriches your playback experience. The Chowmain Plex Home Theater driver enables us to integrate the Plex Home Theater software into the Control4 home automation system with seamless control and feedback.
- IP based communications
- Transport controls
- Movie integration into Control4’s Navigator (NOTE - Currently only works for windows due to bug in osx version. You will need to setup the share without a password as well).
- Audio End-Point assignment for line level volume up/down/mute functionality
- Video End-Point assignment
- 2 way feedback via the JSON API for play, pause, stop, movie started/finished, screen saver active/deactive
- Assignable buttons for non intuitive buttons
- Wake-on Lan functionality
- Power off options
- Ability to send custom messages to Plex Home Theater via Plex Notification (similar to Control4 Announcements via Navigator).
- Combine this driver with the Plex Media Server driver to add fully automated movie import capabilities.
Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?
- One of my pet hates is to be watching a movie and have navigator pop up and tell me that someone is at my front door or perhaps i have a new email or something. This driver provides the ability to send Plex announcements. Like a Control4 Announcement this will pop up a custom message however in this case it will not interrupt the current Plex activity. It will just pop up in the bottom right hand corner for a few seconds and then hide away.
- This driver provides two way feedback on what you media you're consuming and what the state of the media player is. It will tell you when the movie is playing, paused, stopped or if it is a movie, episode, song or unknown media type. This information is useful for customising your lighting and environment to suit your customer's requirements.
Are there any other cool things we can do with this driver?
- By using the media type feedback and the play event you can essentially turn on your AV system to either your audio or video end points. This means for example you can utilise airplay to play a song on your iphone and it will turn on your receiver or if you play a youtube video on your iphone you can turn your receiver and tv on. You can even use 3rd party Plex Apps to turn it on.
- One of my bad habits i have is that i pause a movie and walk off or perhaps i fall asleep in whilst watching a movie. In the past it was hard to track when this happens however now with the OnScreensaverActive event we know exactly when this happens. With some conditional logic (if source == plex) then we can essentially turn off our whole AV system when we are not using it to save power or prevent image burn in.
What hardware will this work on?
This will work for both the windows and osx versions of Plex Home Theater. It may work with the unofficial builds of Plex Home Theater but it is untested and unsupported. Note that due to a bug in Plex Home Theater OSX direct movie selection from Navigator will not work. It has been reported to Plex for resolution.
This driver will only work on Control4 OS 2.6 and above.
Why do you only support OS 2.6 and above?
OS 2.6 offers a superior security encryption algorithm and a new and improved driver format. We have decided to only utilise this new format to ensure that the integrity of this driver is not compromised and that we can provide the best dealer/user experience available.
Do you offer showroom discounts?
We offer dealers a free showroom licence for demonstration and educational purposes. See link below for T&C's and signup procedure.
I want to try this driver out before buying it?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 7 day trial. Just add the driverCentral licencing driver and this driver and you're good to go. No registration required.
Version #20170710 - 10-JUL-2017
Migrated to driverCentral.
Version #20160128 - 28-JAN-2016
Changed wording and logo's to be compliant with Plex trademark guidelines.
Implented 2.8.1 icon
Version #20150818 - 18-AUG-2015
Implemented Dealer Demo Licencing
Version #20150407 - 07-APR-2015
Resolved issue where logs on 2.6 systems would fill out controller storage causing system stability issues. This only effects systems where people have set the debug logs to 'print and log' or 'log' and have forgotten about it over longer periods of time.
Version #20140325 - 05-MAR-2014
Truncated SMB username and password as UNC does not support it. Make sure it is premounted first before using.
Version #20140214 - 14-FEB-2014
Initial Driver Release